Nov 2, 2011

Y A N G Z H E N Z H O N G

Together with photographer Xepo Walter, we interviewed and photographed the artist Yang ZhenZhong in his Studio in Shanghai.

ZhenZhong is a well-known artist abroad for his video art but now he is moving more into painting, photograph and installations

I extract a few sentences from the interview: 

¨I studied Fine Arts at China Academy of Art in Hangzhou (Note: This is one of the most prestigious Fine Arts Schools in China) where I was only taught how to paint and sculpt. I had to learn new forms of expression from the international books and magazines found in our libraries, there were not many, but enough to be inspired¨

¨I looked to the works of Bill Viola and Gary Hill, but I also saw movie tapes that they were not easy to find in China at that time but I got them from my friends (...) ¨

¨Since 1998 I started travelling abroad, the possibility of seeing the real works of other artists on live opened something in my mind because until then, I was used to see a copy of their work. I also saw art works of different themes than those ones I could find in China (...)¨




No comments:

Post a Comment